Saturday, June 15, 2013

Awesome Or Flawsome: Dunkin' Donuts Glazed Donut Breakfast Sandwich

Last week I received an exciting message stating, "Dunkin’ Donuts will launch a new product Friday, June 7th, and we want you to partake in a free tasting! This Friday marks National Donut Day and the release of the Glazed Donut Breakfast Sandwich. The franchise is hosting a tasting event for you and other food bloggers in the Pittsburgh area. We are excited to see what you think of this new creation." As life would have it, I had to work on National Donut Day so I was unable to make it dahn to Market Square on June 7th. You can imagine my crestfallen face when I had to reply to say that I would have to miss the opportunity. Fortunately, the lovely interns in charge of this endeavor were flexible and arranged for me to try the new Glazed Donut Breakfast Sandwich yesterday instead (which was perfect because I got to walk around the Three Rivers Arts Festival afterward)! 
Dunkin' Donuts, 28 Market Square, free wi-fi and people watching
One of those lovely interns was waiting for me when I entered. She was armed with a good handshake, a press release, and my fresh Glazed Donut Breakfast Sandwich. I ordered a Simply Orange to wash it dahn (because I believe that a cold beverage is best with breakfast), and she left me to eat my meal. It was all quite quick and efficient.
The Glazed Donut Breakfast Sandwich is a fried egg (white and yolk) and four pieces bacon nestled between a sliced, warm glazed donut. It is currently available at participating Dunkin' Donuts across America. It costs your wallet around $3.20 and deposits your body with only 360 calories. So combined with Simply Orange ($1.98), one is looking at spending a little over $5 and eating between 360-540 calories for breakfast. To me, this seems reasonable because if I'm ordering a Glazed Donut Breakfast Sandwich and juice, then I'm willingly resigning myself to exactly that. I'm acknowledging that this isn't tofu and quinoa wrapped in locally farmed kale with a side of organic water.

As for taste, I think that Dunkin' Donuts is on the right track with this menu item. The egg is fluffy (with a bit of pepper, but not overpowering in any way); the bacon has flavor and proportion (albeit I think it could be a bit crisper to add texture); and the donut provides the perfect amount of "sweet" to the egg and bacon's "salty." Despite getting glaze all over my fingers, I didn't mind because the sandwich itself is delicious and filling. Thus, while I don't eat ahhhht for breakfast very often, I wouldn't be opposed to ordering the Glazed Donut Breakfast Sandwich again. I suggest yinz try it!
This has a typo. "You" should be "Yinz." 
Therefore, after I gathered my final thoughts as I licked my fingers, The Steel Trap officially has deemed the Dunkin' Donuts Glazed Donut Breakfast Sandwich to be awesome.

Dunkin' Donuts on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment