Monday, April 1, 2013

Burgatory Revisited

If you are interested in the restaurant review of Burgatory at The Pointe at North Fayette, you can go ahead and skip dahn to the paragraph starting with, "A Burgatory location...". Otherwise, you can read the back story of how I ended up there in the first place.

On Good Friday, I had no intentions of eating lunch ahhhht whatsoever. Here was my plan: 1.) Go to the gym. 2.) Run some errands. 3.) Stop by a McDonald's to try their Fish McBites in honor of Good Friday and for an Awesome or Flawsome? post material. Parts 1 and 2 of this plan worked ahhhht perfectly. Part 3 was completely foiled for two reasons: 1.) I tried to get to McDonald's at The Point at North Fayette by heading toward the golden arches but ended up in the parking lot of Burgatory with no way ahhhht but through bumper to bumper madness or a barrier. 2.) After I climbed up a little hill and went over the barrier, crossed a huge roadway, climbed over another barrier, walked through the drive-thru, AND waited in line, I learned that McDonald's ran ahhhht of Fish McBites and would not have them until next Lent. What!?!?

HGB: Hi, do you still have those Fish McBites on your menu?
Guy behind the counter: No, we are ahhhht of them.
HGB: Do you know when you will get more?
Guy behind the counter: Next year?

So there's that. I retraced my steps and landed back in the Burgatory parking lot, which smelled like burgers. Amazing burgers. That aromatic experience paired with the fact that I was already hungry meant one thing: lunch. I mean, what else was a girl to do but follow her instincts and head into an already tried and true excellent burger joint? Exactly.

A Burgatory location in the Robinson area (300 McHolme Drive, 15275) makes me very happy because I enjoy having good and unique non-big-box-restaurants in the suburbs now that I live ahhhht here. I've been to the Fox Chapel location several times, and reviewed it in November 2011.

On Friday, around 1:30 p.m. the place was slammed. Amply staffed, but slammed. When I am eating alone, I always sit at the bar and on this occasion; despite the huge crowd waiting for a table, I was able to find a seat at the bar with ease. The bartender obliged me immediately with a club soda with lime and a menu, and I was all set for burger bliss.

The Good Friday specials were all fish, which I didn't want regardless of the aforementioned foiled fish mission (see above if you skipped those paragraphs). I narrowed it dahn to two choices: The Crab Shack ($12, spicy fresh lump crab burger, Sriracha remoulade, creamy coleslaw)*, which I have had before or the What-A -Jerk Chicken ($10, Jamaican jerk rubbed chicken burger, provolone, grilled pineapple, caramelized onion marmalade, cilantro leaves, banana ketchup, whole wheat bun), which I haven't had before. Something about the banana ketchup interested me enough to try something new, so I went with the What-A-Jerk Chicken; needless to say, I was not disappointed.
Every ingredient on this burger created a great sensory experience in my mouth, and the banana ketchup was so tasty that I  used the extra in which to dip my warm sweet and russet chips. The cilantro leaves were more subtle than I expected, which is a good thing. My only overly-picky suggestion for this nearly perfect burger is that the pineapple slice slips right off mid-bite. Next time I might move it to being between the burger and the bottom bun. Nevertheless, I finished it off and left happily with a Campfire S'mores Heavenly Shake to go.

As expected, Burgatory once again provided a satisfactory experience and there's no doubt that I will be back to this location frequently. My best advice to any Burgatory newcomer is to go with your gut when trying to fill your gut. Here, it works. I promise.

*If you like crab cakes, this is the burger to get. Seriously, don't let that Sriracha remoulade scare yinz. It's fantastic.

Burgatory Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment