Sunday, April 1, 2012

Housekeeping

I don't know if anyone noticed or not, but it feels like I've been pretty negligent of The Steel Trap recently. This of course is not because I am avoiding or procrastinating on posting my thoughts and ideas; no, it's simply a consequence of not having enough time in the day. In truth, I don't even have enough time to get the laundry done in my usual punctual, systematical way. Blame it on the wedding, blame it on work,  or blame it on the rain (just kidding, even though I do love a little Milli Vanilli from time to time), but it's clear that I have some catching up to do. Which is exactly what will transpire in the following paragraphs...

First of all, I have a recommendation for a lovely afternoon in Fayette County. For $38, you can take a tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's Kentuck Knob (one of his Usonian homes, if you are a fan), and a tour of Fallingwater. Afterward, I highly recommend heading over to The Tavern at Nemacolin Woodlands for casual, but delicious meal. JGS, EGG, PSB and I embarked on this little adventure in early March and it was a truly lovely day. Being able to see both homes in the same day really helped me to compare and contrast both residences more coherently than in the past because the details were fresh and I was able to remain quite focused. With each trip, I gain a deeper appreciation for FLW's brilliance, but also for the families (Kaufmann's and Hagan's) who commissioned him to create such architectural masterpieces for them. I wonder if either family anticipated how much they would positively impact the area with their actions. Anyway, here are three photos I took that day (with which I am quite pleased)...

Most certainly my favorite shade of red... 

Capturing the light beaming through the cantilevered roof was an awesome accident... 

The vertical windows featured in this shot are my favorite aspect of this "summer home"...

Another fun aspect of March was seeing the movie Friends With Kids with almost all of my girlfriends. If you have friends with kids, or you are the friend with the kids, I highly recommend seeing this heartfelt, original comedy. Kristen Wiig kills it as usual (in a supporting role, no less), proving her versatility yet again. I so want to hang ahhhhht with that woman.

The wedding is a little over two months away, which means that invitations are about to go ahhhht. I couldn't have done it without the creative vision and prowess of JBS, otherwise known as Jenny Wren, who not only designed my invites and all of their corresponding components; but also provided lots of great wedding-related insight. I'll post pics of the invites after the wedding. Oh yes, if you are looking for an amazing graphic designer, let me know and I'll give you her contact information.

In other news, we traveled to the D.C. area to pick up my wedding dress (and yes, it fits... so it came home to Pittsburgh with us) and to visit with family and friends. This was the fifth time that I have visited D.C., but it was the first time with JTP along for the ride. He lived there for three years prior to our relationship, so it was really nice to see his version of the town (his "stomping grounds" as he called them). It's always been quite clear to me that I really like D.C., but on this trip, I realized that I like it more and more with each visit. There aren't many cities in which I could picture myself living, but D.C. just might be one of them...

Lastly, what could have been a complete disaster* turned ahhhht better than I expected. My lovely little Droid Incredible started malfunctioning more often than I desired (I know, I know... first world problems), and my iPod (a 1st generation 1GB nano from the Stone Age) wasn't really working either. So, I decided to cross over to the dark side and get an iPhone, which I said I would never do. To my surprise (and not to the surprise of any current iPhone users), I acclimated myself within a few hours; got all of my iTunes loaded pretty easily; found the apps I wanted quickly; and discovered that the battery works like 800 times better than my Droid. It's been two weeks, and I've been nothing less than pleased. I believe Charlie Sheen would call that #winning.

What's on the calendar for April? Ummmmmm, where do I begin? I've got a holiday weekend in Uniontown, some wedding-related errand running (including our food tasting), an Everything But The Book (Club) gathering, a few high school musicals, a handful of track & field meets, my hilarious tap dancing/fitness class, two friends' wedding to attend (they are marrying each other!), and life in general. I have multiple posts halfway written, and I had better start reviewing more restaurants since my urbanspoon ranking is not as high as I'd like it to be.

As always, thank you for reading (and [hopefully] passing this blog along). Also, thank you for "liking" The Steel Trap on facebook, following @The_Steel_Trap on Twitter, and following me on Pinterest!

Helloooo April! 
-HGB 

*Just ask JTP. When I switched from a BlackBerry to a Droid, I didn't sleep for hours and it took me two weeks to figure things ahhhht. What was even worse was the fact that JTP got his phone all situated and left me all alone and miserable in the dust (self-inflicted misery, but misery nonetheless). I don't think I have to mention how relived he is that I like my new iPhone...  

1 comment:

  1. I want to live in Fallingwater. Ugh. I have yet to get to Kentuck Knob, but it only took me something like 20 years to make it to Fallingwater. A friend and I went together after discovering neither of us had been. We both somehow missed that crucial Fayette County school field trip, and our parents had assumed we'd gone.

    My mission this spring/summer is to get my boyfriend to both.

    ReplyDelete