Thursday, April 5, 2012

"Hot Damn!"

"Hot damn!" was PSB's reply when I called her to relay the good news this morning. What good news? Well, let me shout it from the rooftops this laptop: T.J. MAXX AND KOHL'S ARE COMING TO UNIONTOWN!!!! Now, this might not seem to be a big deal for someone who isn't from Fayette County. However, for someone like me who used to drive with her mother six hours to the Detroit area to go to over six different TJ Maxx stores in one weekend, THIS IS A BIG DEAL. Of course, when TJ Maxx came to Pittsburgh in the nineties that was all great and everything; but it still was at least a 45-minute drive to get to there from the UT.

The official scoop as printed in today's Trib Live claims that, "New development is coming to South Union. Township supervisors Wednesday said plans are being developed for a T.J. Maxx, Kohl's, and a new restaurant to open in the area... That location will be renamed the South Union Market Place. Kohl's department store will be the anchor store. There will also be other stores and a restaurant to be announced at a later date." Like I said before, THIS IS A BIG DEAL.

Besides bringing more retail to Fayette County, this development will go in the location of the old Wal-Mart, which is currently abandoned because there's a new Wal-Mart up the road. Did you follow that? Yes, the old Wal-Mart wasn't in a structurally sound location, nor was it "Super," so they built a new one up the road and left the old one to fester like an old wound on the legs of Super K-Mart and the former Hill's Department Store.

On a side note, I am sure people are wondering how this will affect Gabriel Brother's. Personally, I don't think that it will alter anyone's devotion to Gabe's because I actually believe that it will help keep people shopping in the area rather than driving to South Hills, Monroeville, or Greensburg for some of the things that aren't available at the Uniontown Mall (anchored by Sears, Bon-Ton, JCP, and Burlington Coat Factory). 

Now, if Uniontown could only get an Olive Garden and a Victoria's Secret... 

3 comments:

  1. Rumor is that the UT IS getting an Olive Garden (per my daddy-o)...also, should we be a bit concerned that they are putting this at the old Wal-Mart site - I didn't think it was the building that was bad but that whole hillside? Either way - this is great for UT - it will bring jobs to people who need them and more choices which is awesome. Also - I agree about VSC. Would also like to see them get a Limited or Loft or something like that. Heck, I'll take Old Navy even!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word on the street is that Kohl's is out because TJ Maxx didn't go over as well as they'd hoped. Now, I love TJ Maxx, but since it's kind of like a nicer Gabe's, some seem unimpressed.

    The sign proclaiming the impending Michael's, though, is still up.

    Related: my boyfriend's dad recently said of Gabe's, "I don't brag, I flaunt that snag!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally wear that on a t-shirt.

      Delete