Tuesday, March 20, 2012

412.682.FIRE

It's the first restaurant I fell for when I moved to Oakland in 1998 (partially because it's the first place I ever ate a sweet potato fry); and it remains the only Oakland restaurant that I still patronize regularly, keeping its number for take-ahhhhtt in my phone fourteen years later. Fuel & Fuddle on Oakland Avenue is a fantastic eatery within blocks of our beloved Cathedral of Learning; and I can say with certainty and years of experience that it is one place that has never disappointed or dissatisfied.

Over those years, I've watched the menu evolve ever-so-slightly (I wouldn't mind if they brought back the "C'mon Iwanna Leiya" Hawaiian pizza); I've watched numerous people order "Rosemary's Breasts" and chuckle to themselves; I've watched MAB order "Rollafatty" when she was eight, nine, ten, and eleven, all the while being totally oblivious to the reference; I've eaten orders of "Campfire Steak & Potatoes" multiple nights in a row; I've celebrated, commiserated, and first dated there; and I've eaten so many of those complimentary fortune cookies that I should be able to speak Chinese.

My point? With an open kitchen centered around a brick oven, Fiestaware stacked high, competent staff, an unassuming decor, and a bar; it's easy to like. Once you eat, it's even easier.

Even though I would eat anything and everything on it's eclectic menu, here's a list of my most highly recommended items for a rookie diner:

  • Thai Me Up Skewers ($7)
  • Rollafatty ($7.5)
  • Kick-Gas Nachos ($7, $8 with Rosa's Chicken Chili)
  • Smoking Hen ($8.5)
  • The Flying Buffalo ($8.5)
  • Campfire Steak & Potatoes ($9.5)
  • Rosa's Chicken Chili ($3.5 & $4.5)
  • Joe Mama's Meatloaf ($8.5)
  • Bloody Mary's ($2 on Sundays from 11 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.)
  • Hangover Helper ($7.5 on Sundays from 11 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.)
  • Caramel Apple Granny ($4.5)

Oh yeah... the 100 proof bourbon barbecue sauce is perfect and there are house brews. Enjoy!

Fuel & Fuddle on Urbanspoon

(4 stars, 4.4)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Fuel and Fuddle. LIke you, I've had so many good times there. It's so true that people always chuckle when they order Rosemary's Breasts! And that's usually okay unless it's your boss that is doing it...haha once my boss did that was pretty much the end of everybody-included team lunches...LOL

    ReplyDelete