Saturday, February 18, 2012

Meat & Potatoes Revisited

Since my initial review in July (It Had An Olde English Aftertaste...), I have dined at Meat & Potatoes several times. And since experience adds insight to any given situation, I felt that I should make my audience aware of some other delectable menu items offered at the place I originally (and fondly) deemed as Pittsburgh's "plushly modern speakeasy."

If you are in the mood for some lighter items to enjoy with a few happy hour or pre-show drinks, I recommend two "Snacks" (both of which are perfect for sharing with a partner): Fried Brussels ($5) and Devils on Horseback ($6, dates wrapped in bacon). The Fried Brussels are a tasty way to satisfy the craving for greasy food that we all get from time to time (some more often than others), and the Devils on Horseback really provide a punch of flavor combined with a great texture.

Devils on Horseback
If you are in the mood for something seemingly more nutritional, try the Harvest Salad ($8, roasted beets / frisee / endive / treviso / pecans / blue cheese) paired with the Mushrooms Flat Bread ($12, taleggio / ricotta / truffle / pecorino romano). Overall, if I wasn't keen on trying new things, I easily could stay stuck in a rut with this duo.

If you are in the mood for something heartier, and the Meatloaf special is available, go for it! Priced appropriately at $18, it is served with mashed potatoes, fried onions, and a spicy tomato jam. Right in my wheelhouse, this dish provides both warmth and satisfaction, which a meatloaf should do. It's dense, tender, and juicy, and if I wasn't in public, I would have licked the plate. Just ask JTP. At home, this barbaric practice is normalcy* for me when I cannot get enough of something.

Not the meatloaf that Will Ferrell yells about in Wedding Crashers
If you are in the mood for wine, try the Bogle Vineyards 2008 Phantom ($12 glass, $48 bottle).** It's a blend of Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, and Mourvèdre, which together creates a warmth and satisfaction complementary to the aforementioned Meatloaf.

But no matter your mood, Meat & Potatoes is a guaranteed pleaser, and is currently my #1 recommendation for a dahntahn dining experience.  

Meat & Potatoes on Urbanspoon

(4 stars, 4/4)

*Since Meat & Potatoes is reminiscent of the Roaring Twenties, this word is more than apropos.
**Many thanks to GFC for introducing this wine to me, and for always showing his guests a wonderful evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment